Monday, October 17, 2011

8/28/11

Dear Mum,

It's been an interesting week, getting whitewashed into an area isn't to fun. It is the same branch as Buota but I really only knew the members in my area not so much in Bonriki, so we have tried to get to know the members in our area while trying to find the people we are supposed to be teaching. There have been a few rough days. Mostly because I'm supposed to be leading out since Elder Flynn has only been out five months. I have to do more speaking then I'm used to ( I'm hardly the best at the language) and I seem to be failing a bit lately. I'm just really not cut out to be a leader. But oh well complaining won't change anything. It hasn't been all bad working here this is a pretty good branch, and we have some of the coolest strongest members in our area (and our branch just won everything in the stake singing competition) so I'm sure everything will be just fine. I just need to get used to things.
One interesting thing happened yesterday is here in Kiribati they have big gatherings or party's called botaki's. They have them for things like 1st& 21st birthdays, deaths, and some other weird ones. So yesterday at the end of church everyone got invited to the death botaki at the branch presidents house. So we had to go there was no way out of it. It was fine, mostly we just sang with the ward for the family and watched them bury the body. She was catholic and so was most of her family but her brother is a member of the branch so it was good to support him. The problem was that it took all day, so we didn't teach any lessons. But a few of the people we were supposed to teach were at the botaki as well. It was just interesting. It was the longest one I have been in but its really important in the culture and I didn't know how to get out of it.
Well I think that's about it for now I hope everything is going good, let everyone know that I love them.

Love, Elder Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment